Care & Support for Mothers, Fathers, and Baby
Doula: A Greek word meaning; a woman helping another woman.
When I was pregnant and gave birth to my two beautiful daughters, I had no idea what a Doula was. I wish I did! I still can’t remember to this day how I finally found out about Doulas and their expertise in labour, birth and post-partum support, but I’m glad I did. I am thrilled that I can share it with all the women I meet now so that they can have the opportunity of making their child’s birth the moment that they’ve dreamt of.
A Labour and Birth Doula….
- Will help prepare for your labour and birth journey
- Makes sure you are informed and provide you with resources
- Is available via telephone and email for any of your questions or concerns
- Discusses what it is you would like to see for your birth experience, and helps create a birth plan
- Provides you with individualized and constant care during labour and delivery, including emotional, physical and informational support
- Will provide care while in hospital, birthing center or home setting
- Offers pain management and coping techniques
- Provides support immediately after birth, and help with initial breastfeeding
A Doula does not…
- A Doula does not replace a nurse, doctor, midwife or other medical professional
- A Doula does not provide medical advice
- A Doula will not take over or exclude your other support members
Statistics show that when you have a Doula present for labour and delivery:
- There is a higher rate of vaginal delivery
- Lower possibility of medical interventions i.e. forceps, vacuum
- There is less need for pain medication
- There are less overall complications
- The hospital stays are shorter for mother and baby
This is your moment and you deserve support along the way. A Doula can help empower you, fill you with knowledge and guide you on your journey to bring your baby into your arms, and caring for baby after birth.
I would feel honored to help bring a new life into the world, and help you on your road to a successful life as a parent.
Kelly Davidson CD(DONA), Owner & Labour and Birth Doula
Serving Mississauga and Surrounding Area